Friday, May 2, 2008

Wacky Wendy's

One of my favorite places to go for lunch is Wendy's. I love their spicey chicken sandwich. 99 times out of 100, I order a #6, Large, with a Root Beer (of course). It's great.

Today was a different experience. I went with a co-worker of mine, Steve, to Wendy's today. It was shortly afternoon and fairly busy. I right away noticed that there was a new employee (it's a sign that you eat somewhere way too much). He was an older gentleman. Assisting him was a younger manager, who seemed to be 6 months pregnant. It was our turn to order and stepped up the the counter to be assisted by this new employee. I ordered first, my number 6... and patiently waited for the next question "Medium or Large?". It took a while for him to navigate through the screen. It took so long that Steve started ordering. The man and I both look at him and were like, "I'm not done yet." Meanwhile, not 1, not 2, but 3 different sets of customers (yes it took that long) came up and complained about their orders. "I'm missing a drink." "I thought I order a different sandwhich." "We need another set of fries." At one point the store manager came over and just gave out a few extra things of fries just to appease these customers and to allow this manager to continue assisting with this new employee. Finally our order was ready and I looked at the tray and noticed that we had an extra sandwich. I said to the manager there, "I think that we have an extra sandwich." She looked back at me and said, "No you don't." Steve steps in and says, "No, we ordered a spicey chicken sandwich, two stack attacks, and two crunchy chicken sandwiches. This third Stack Attack is not ours." It went back and forth a little bit.... not that either of us cared that we got the extra sandwich, we just wanted to make sure that they were aware. Once again the store manager stepped over and just told us to take the sandwich (which should have happened in the first place). I grabbed our tray with the drinks and french fries and just made a polite comment to the store manager like, "A stressful day?" and he smiled back and said "Yeah, just training a new employee." Totally understandable. Problem solved.

Well, I walk around the corner to where Steve is sitting and right behind me is this prego manager. "Sir, I need that tray back; it's the next gentleman's order." Oops. I guess Steve didn't see that I had grabbed the second of out 2 trays and while I was chit chatting with the store manager grabbed the tray that wasn't ours and went and sat down. I laughed and sat down and we did the whole... my sandwhich, your drink, my fries, etc. Steve stood up and went to go get napkins and straws. He came back a little preturbed and sat down. Not too far behind him was the store manager. He appologized and offered to get us a frosty or fries or anything. Steve declined and the manager walked away. I looked at Steve and was like... "What's up with that... we already got a free sandwich." He said, "No, the other manager accused me twice of ripping them off!" Apparently, when Steve was getting napkins and such, he overheard the pregnant manager complaining loudly to the other customers and employees that he tried to rip them off and steal fries and a drink. He walked up to the counter and confronted her about it (you know how guys are) and told her, "No, it was a mistake."
The rest of lunch was awkward. Mostly because the store manager checked up on us every five minutes and Steve was angry. Before we left, I went and got a refill on my Root Beer and once again was approached by the store manager who appologied profusely. I reassured him that everything was ok and that it was just a misunderstanding that was escalated because of stress.
I do not mean to dis Wendy's or anything of the sort. I will go there again... most likely next week and won't think anything of it.
I guess the moral of this story is... if you walk into Wendy's and there is a new employee the being trained by someone who is 6 months or so pregnant, you might want to go to Taco Bell.

3 comments:

Ashley and Ben said...

MELISSA!!!!!! How fun, I am so glad you have a blog! You are so funny. I am so glad to have you as a friend...you really make my day at church!

-Ashley

Angela Baird said...

Hilarious story about Wendys! Can't wait to meet Steve! And your whole blog is great! Love the pics and stories! Thanks for the post for Katelyn (Enchanted)!, and the pics of your trip to Utah! Love you tons!

Mary said...

Sounds like a rough time at Wendy's! You've gotta watch out for those pregnant ladies...:)